Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Singapore - Did I mention it's Hot?

First things first. All those great photos in Ingrid's post, like the one shown here - Mine. She totally snuck em off my card when I was drinking. Shameless, Shame...

Anyway, I'm over it. It's not like I'd stoop to the childish level of trying to get you back or anything.

Right folks, so just like the city/state itself, this post is going to be Clean, Small, and Diverse. (wait, no, that's far to logical for this blog)

Ah hem, let's try this again....

Right folks, so just like the city/state itself, this post is going to be Clean, Small, and Fisheye. (better)

Singapore is freakin' Hot! Stupid, Sweat while standing in the shade hot. I couldn't believe the temps and word on the street is the weather is pretty much the same 24/7/365x4+1 (I made that up myself(Not the temp bit, the math(To account for the leap year and all (I've been in the sun for a long time)))). I felt like the Jack Russell Terrier I met in Namibia all over again. I mean, the place is so hot even their sculpture knows the deal!

Once you get past the heat, Singapore is a great city to live in and not too bad to visit either, less of course you're on a budget. $18 for a Pint of Guiness catches up with you real fast.

Sadly, it doesn't make for very interesting blogging cause you can't photograph the "No Chewing Gum" signs at Customs, cause they're right next to the "No Photos" sign and the heavily armed guards.

What makes the city great is that it's like the last 6 months of our trip all rolled into the same joint (and NO that's not a drug referrence). Their "little India" is just like the real India, less people deficating in the street. "Arab Street" serves up sick Hummous over Turkish Coffee while you puff a Hookah. "Chinatown", well, anyone can do Chinatown but you know a country with over a Million Chinese can do it Right. Then there's the "Colonial Quarter" with the Raffles Hotel - home of the Singapore Sling - and all sorts of tribute to the "I'll bring you religion and disease in exchange for your backbreaking labor and raw materials" scam - God Bless those crazy Europeans.

See, Inx is standing in the Financial district with her left foot in Chinatown and her right foot in Little India. Told you it was small.

In a great example of Irony, one of the classiest, most Cosmopolitan cities on the Planet have opted to make this their national monument.

Can you guess what it's called?
Anyone? Anyone?
Bueller? Bueller?

It's a Merlion.....

1

2

3

Keep thinking....

4

5

6

Got it Yet?

7

8

9

Mermaid + Lion = Merlion! Tah-Dah!

I don't know what's worse, that they pasted all over their currency, constructed far too many Merlions on the Island, or that this is the "official" one!

To me it looks more akin to a tribute to Collegiate Binge drinking than Relentless Pursuit of Mechantile Excellence.

Whatever.

But like I said in the opening.

Singapore is

Clean

That's a Public Bathroom

Small

That's Singapore behind me. Just kidding, it's the Southern most point of continental Asia says the Singaporean Signage.

and Fisheye!!!

Steal my photos will ya! That's what you get for leaving me alone with the computer while you watch Pride and Prejudice - Again!

(I'm SO Toast for posting this)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home